In the late Georgian period a few speculative builders erected terraces such as Bloomfield Place above Bear Flat but the area remained unspoilt farmland for many years, with just the annual horse fair to enliven proceedings. It did this so effectively that, in 1836, the Corporation set up a committee to control or stop it, as it was inconvenient and encouraged immorality – Kirsten Elliott.
Bloomfield Place and Bloomfield House (dating from around 1800) were both designed by Charles Harcourt Masters. Bloomfield Crescent, at the top of Bloomfield Road, was originally called Cottage Crescent and dates from 1801. These buildings, in addition to Westfield House, are the only homes shown on 1886 maps of Bloomfield (named as South Lyncombe at the time).
For more info on Madison Oakley or contact details for our directors, do visit our website.