A profusion of skylights and sash windows across this corner apartment conversion right in the heart of vibrant Widcombe. Superbly convenient for the city centre/railway station just across the footbridge, this gorgeous two bedroom second floor apartment was once part of the village Post Office. Apart from the stellar location the 57sqm apartment has a generous sitting room with three windows, fitted kitchen, bathroom and two very decent bedrooms (although the second is quite an odd shape!). Gas CH, secondary/double glazing, lots of light from strategically placed Velux skylights, a sunny communal courtyard garden to rear and all the shops you’ll need right on your doorstep. Long leasehold (973yrs) and extermely reasonable service charges (£660pa).
The apartment has a superb track record as an investment property but also offers residential buyers an opportunity to acquire a good sized two bed apartment for far less than can be found in the city centre 1000yds away. No onward chain. Sole Agents.
Proceed out of the city centre to the junction of the Lower Bristol Road and the A367 Wellsway. Bear left onto Rossiter Road and then right at the first opportunity at the Kennet & Avon canal. The property will be found on the left, at the junction of Widcombe Parade and Prior Park Road.
During the late 18th century, the parishes of Lyncombe and Widcombe were small villages with a population of around 3000. By 1830, the population had trebled and included almost 600 weavers. Tthe textile trade, together with shipping from John Rennie’s Kennet & Avon canal (completed in 1810) and Ralph Allen’s stone mine traffic, formed the backbone of the local industry for most of the early 19th century. Lyncombe and Widcombe were not incorporated into the city of Bath until 1835 (under the Municipal Corporations Reform Act). The streets of Widcombe village from 1730 onwards were considerably different to today – lost terraces like Coburg Place adjoined Sussex Place, whilst Waterloo Buildings occupied the riverside land where Rossiter Road now runs. Prior Park Road was often called “Mr Allens Way” and Ralph Allen had (in 1730) commissioned John Wood to construct Allens Row (now Prior Park cottages). The local Poor House stood in Millbrook Place from 1777 (demolished in 1961 and replaced by the houses of Armes Court). Other lost terraces behind Widcombe Parade include Chapmans Cottages, Fishers Court and Bartletts Court (whose name lives on in a development of flats on Widcombe Parade).
No2 Prior Park Rd was originally built as part of Widcombe Parade – in early 19th century prints, there is a clear gap between No2 and Allen’s cottages. Local residents from 1952 onwards will remember it being used as the local Post Office until 1963.
Full details now on our website.