Perfectly situated just westwards of Queen Square and 200yds from the Avon cyclepath, this fabulous two floor apartment has its own private rear garden – an oasis of calm in the heart of the city. Spread over ground and lower ground floors of this Georgian townhouse, the apartment boasts high ceilinged sitting room and kitchen at street level, with two bedrooms and bathroom below. Plenty of hallway space with study area and storage cupboards, gas central heating via combi boiler, exposed floorboards and appropriate period features. An ideal central base, handy for Green Park shopping. Permit parking on street.
Room dimensions on floorplans. Additional photos and space planner tool available via our interactive floorplan at http://content.metropix.com/p/4437885
From Queen Square, proceed west down Charlotte St and turn left into Little Stanhope St. Turn immediately right into Great Stanhope St and the property will be found on the right.
Historical Notes – R.E.M Peach records Great Stanhope St as constructed between 1771 and 1790, with New King St (formerly just King St) adjacent having been built between 1764 and 1770. Graham Davis terms the construction of this period “part of the third and last of the city’s spectacular advances “ in Georgian architecture. The immediate area is also known for links to Horatio Nelson – his wife lodged in New King St and the next three streets westwards are named in his honour (Norfolk Crescent after his county of birth, Nelson Villas/Place and Nile St).
By 1797, the western Kingsmead area was a popular spot for visitors for the “season” to take up lodgings – annual rents for lodging houses were around £90 in New King St, whereas higher altitude accommodation in Gay St cost over £150. This property is listed in the 1833 Bath directory as a lodging house – the proprietor was a Mrs Sumpsion. Her neighbours at the time included Mr E Butt at No5 (surgeon & apothecary) and Mr Thomas Flower at No1 (Overseer for the Parish of Walcot).
It is likely that Great Stanhope St is named after Philip Dormer Stanhope, the fourth Earl of Chesterfield (1694 – 1773). Lord Stanhope visited Bath regularly over a thirty year period (lodging at No3 Pierrepont St) and had a close association with both Nash and Ralph Allen. In addition, he was one of the original founders of the Mineral Water Hospital.
For further details and viewing availability, contact us via our website by clicking here.