Russel St was built in 1775 and called so after an apothecary of that name, who had a botanical garden on the site. Spelled with one “l” but a second is now commonly used. Bennet St in the same way now has a second “t”.
Sedan Chairs were introduced into England from Naples by Sir Sanders Duncombe and Bath was the first place they were used.
St Andrews Church was built in 1870 on what is now the triangular green behind the Royal Crescent. At 240ft spire was added in 1879 (at the time the highest in the city). The church was destroyed by enemy action during the Bath Blitz of April 1942. Behind the church stood a row of shops called Abingdon Buildings (on the site of what is now Phoenix House). The photo below shows the ruins of the church before it was demolished.
Quite a few streets in Bath have had name changes over the years. Here’s a small list of some old names we have found from today’s research in the local library;
- Cheap Street – once called Sowter or Sutor St (Sutor is Latin for “shoemaker”)
- Beau St – Bell Tree Lane
- Monmouth St – Cucumber Lane
- Pulteney Road – Sackville St
- Sawclose – Gascoyn Place
- Entry Hill – Antony Hill
- Somerset Place – Spackmans Buildings
- North Parade – Galloways Buildings
- Bridewell Lane – Plumtree Street