Located in this peaceful cul de sac on the western edge of the village, this substantial detached 1086sqft four bedroom family home is a real find in such a sought after village. The internal accommodation is well balanced with a large open plan sitting room through to dining room, a family kitchen, an extra study and a useful W.C on the ground floor whilst the first floor houses four bedrooms (two doubles and two singles) and a family bathroom. Outside, there are easily maintained front gardens and a decent driveway plus a level enclosed 40ft square south east facing rear garden with plenty of space for the trampoline. Double glazing throughout and gas central heating. Sole Agents.
The village sits equidistant from both Bath and Frome (Bath 7.7miles north via the B3110 to Midford & Combe Down). As regards local amenities, there is a new village shop located on the Fortescue Fields development, a popular primary school and outstanding pre school, St Philip & St James Church and an excellent farm shop at the junction of Farleigh Rd and the A36.
Although the Roman road to Poole passes less than a mile to the east of the village, the earliest habitation on the current site is of Saxon origin with the village then appearing as Nortune, a small agricultural settlement with its own mill, in the Domesday Book.
The George Inn was built in the 14th or 15th century as a wool store for the priory and to accommodate travellers and merchants coming to the annual wool fairs that were held in the village from the late 13th century. At one stage, the inn was listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the oldest pub in the UK but that title is now said to be held by Ye Old Fighting Cocks in St Albans. Across the road from the George, the Fleur de Lys pub was opened as an inn in 1584. Not long afterwards, in 1615, Queen Anne of Denmark, wife of James the First, stopped there to dine on her way back from taking the waters at Bath. Samuel Pepys also dined at the inn in 1668 and wrote of his visit to the village church.
On the 26th and 27th of June 1685, the village found itself in the middle of the Duke of Monmouth’s Rebellion against his uncle, King James II. The centre of the fighting was at a barricade across the top of North Street, Monmouth headquartered at the George and Chevers Lane is still referred to locally as Bloody Lane.
Full details now available on our website by clicking here.