Claude Avenue – A spacious and characterful late Victorian three storey extended home in a superbly central Oldfield Park location but the real surprise is at the end of the long rear garden – a detached triple tandem 492sqft garage that can be a hobbyists paradise, home office or much more.
The house itself has been extended to the rear on the ground floor as well as upwards and now comprises of; sitting room, dining room, breakfast room, kitchen, two bedrooms & bathroom on the first floor and a second floor loft room. Outside, there is a covered seating/dining area (with productive grapevine) leading to a 70ft+ level rear garden and on to the garaging.
Ideally situated for Moorland Rd or the Linear Park. Local primary school 40yds to the south and bus routes directly outside.
South Twerton Junior School, at the junction of Claude/Lymore/Coronation Avenues, was originally Ascension School and opened in 1893 but it was not until 1897 that Claude Avenue itself appears in local street directories. Houses on the road built and occupied that year were numbered 1 through 34 and 61 – 62, plus Claude House itself (the home of butter merchant William H Chapman). The builders, George & John Hallett, lived at 61 & 62.
By 1899, the road was numbered 1 – 34 and 39 – 62, although 39 – 43 were void. It was not until 1903 that the road was listed as it is now, with sequential numbers from 1 to 58.
This property is first shown as occupied in 1903 (although it is likely that the house was previously shown as a different number) by Henry Swift (fireman). Mr Swift was not the only fireman on the road – others lived at Nos 6, 13, 38, 39 and 48 – but this does not mean this road was a haven for the fire brigade. Fireman (or stoker) is the job title for someone whose job is to tend the fire for the running of a steam engine.
On steam locomotives the term fireman is usually used, while on steamships and stationary steam engines, such as those driving saw mills, the term is usually stoker (although the British Merchant Navy did use fireman). Much of the job is hard physical labor, such as shoveling fuel, typically coal, into the engine’s firebox.
Dorset Street – A two bedroom Victorian terrace, superbly positioned between the city centre and Oldfield Park and tucked away in a cul de sac. Two receptions, kitchen and bathroom on ground floor. Two double bedrooms on first floor. Southeast facing level rear garden, double glazing and gas central heating. Viewings start Saturday 29th March – call to register your interest and book a time slot.
St Peters Church at the Lower Bristol Rd end of Dorset St was consecrated in 1880 but it was not until 1892 that the houses in Dorset St were built and occupied. This property was the home of Isaac Moon (constable), with neighbours Frederick Toogood (sawyer) and Benjamin Martin (engine turner). By 1898, the property changed hands to Frederick Payne (barman) and again in 1914 to Archibald Hooper (iron worker).
Full details for both properties are now available on our website by clicking here.