Twerton Gaol

Twerton Gaol (the original spelling), was designed by architect George Manners (who was Bath City Architect from 1823 – 1862) and opened in 1843. It was erected in Caledonian Road, where it would have been in easily seen from the Royal Crescent (built a century earlier). It was therefore designed to look more like a… Read More



Southdown history notes

No81 The Hollow is first mentioned in the Bath Directory of 1940, as the home of a Mr P Burgess. Houses on the road were built from 1935, often with names like Everest and Mornside. The closest local employer was Blackmore and Langdon Nurseries¬† (advertised on their website as “the world’s largest growers of exhibition… Read More